About Cedar Rapids
Find the best of both worlds in and around Cedar Rapids – an urban edge with small town charm. For city-lovers and outdoor enthusiasts alike, our fair city offers appeals for all. From retail therapy to a sports fix to getting back to nature, it’s all here close to home.
Our community’s cost of living is lower than the national average and lower than most other metro areas in the Midwest. Unemployment and crime both fall well below the U.S. average – in fact, Cedar Rapids is home to almost 300 different manufacturing plants and two dozen Fortune 500 companies, and we enjoy steady growth – more than 8% since 2000. We’re home to six colleges and universities and boast a thriving medical district - Cedar Rapids was ranked #9 “Healthiest Small Cities in America” by Dailyfinance.com.
What should I know about Cedar Rapids?
Just a few of our proud accomplishments:
- Named All-America City 2014 by the National Civic League
- Ranks as the #1 best place in America to raise a child for the second year in a row
- Named #8 on list of top ten Best Affordable Places to Live by Livability.com
- Ranked #6 top city for living the American Dream
- Google’s 2015 eCity of Iowa, recognizing the strongest online business communities in each state as the digital capitals of America.
- Ranks 5th best city in America for young adults to get rich
- Ranked #5 happiest zip code in America by movoto.com
- Ranked #6 for “10 Best Midsize Cities to Move To” by Movoto.com
- One of America's Best Cities on the Rise according to Smarter Travel
What is there to do in Cedar Rapids?
From shopping and museums, family fun and attractions to sports and outdoors, Cedar Rapids never fails to entertain. Find inspiring itineraries for family adventures, history buffs, cycling adventures, weekend getaways, girlfriend gatherings and more.
Explore boutiques, department stores, outlet malls, farmers markets, NewBo City Market, Farmer’s Daughter’s Market, Czech Village/New Bohemia Main Street District and more!
Appease the palate with our award-winning breweries and vineyards, plus an amazing menu of restaurants, from quick to white tablecloth. Two not to miss: Great American Popcorn Company with its legendary popcorn and ice cream and 350 First for spectacular views from top floor of the Doubletree by Hilton.
Arts & Entertainment
Culture abounds in and around Cedar Rapids, with performances and plays from casual comedy clubs and dueling piano shows to professional-quality troupes including Theatre Cedar Rapids, Paramount Theatre
Orchestra Iowa, McGrath Amphitheatre, The Old Creamery Theatre Company, Municipal Band, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art and Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre.
Step back in time and forward in entertainment with Cedar Rapids’ rich tapestry, weaved through historic NewBo neighborhood, Usher's Ferry Historic Village, Brucemore mansion 26 acre national historic site, the African American Museum of Iowa and more.
Fun for all ages awaits around every corner of Cedar Rapids in The Play Station indoor jungle gym, Air FX Trampoline Park, Wickiup Hill outdoor learning area, Iowa Children’s Museum, Old MacDonald’s Farm, Bever Park’s Children’s Zoo, Planet X family entertainment center and more.
Cedar Rapids is the sports fans’ dream – fans of all kinds take to the edge of their seats to follow the fast-paced action each season delivers:
- Cedar Rapids RoughRiders hockey team
- Cedar Rapids Titans, our professional indoor arena football team
- Cedar Rapids Kernels baseball team – recognized as Minor League Baseball's best franchise
- Cedar Rapids Rampage indoor professional soccer team
- Hawkeye Downs Speedway – car racing, motocross, go-cart racing, bicycle racing, more
Outdoors and More
Get back to nature with Cedar Rapids’ amazing array of parks, trails and recreation. Explore our extensive parks – 3,360 acres in 96 areas, plus our incredible network of walking and recreational trails. Cyclists in particular will delight in our renowned recreational offerings. Dozens of public and private golf courses, plus swimming pools, splash pads and pavilions, provide endless action. Disc golf courses, skate parks, indoor arenas plus baseball, softball and soccer complexes provide options for multi-sport action. And lots of opportunities for outdoor activities including fishing, boating and camping come through locations like the 2,180-acre Lake Macbride State Park and others.
Want to find out more about the Cedar Rapids area? Check out www.gocedarrapids.com.